Skip to main content

A Big Event

How do you feel about politics?  There are some people who enjoy the thrill. I'm not one of them.  I have friends who do good work, aspire to do greater things, and I support them.

I realize that I would have done much better if the CA Rep. position had been one I needed to apply for, like a job. I was willing to do the work. I was willing to make my case as a qualified applicant. But the politics of it?

That was a whole different story.

I'm not an aggressive self-promoter. I had a team of wonderful people who worked hard and pushed me to do better. I know I was a challenge to them. What do you do if you want to get the job done but you don't like politics?

Write a check, maybe. Volunteer. Serve on a committee. Write a blog.

This morning someone for whom I have great respect is beginning a new phase of his political career. It's a big event. But when I think of the whole thing: the carefully planned event, significant location, local electeds who will be there for the requisite 'photo opps', I get that familiar pain in my gut.

Like Charlie Brown sitting in the school office, waiting to see the principal, my stomach hurts.

For those who enjoy politics, and who have the natural skills to flourish, I salute you. I'm especially glad that there are good people, who really care, who are willing to engage in this process.

Thank you. Rock on for a #BetterMaryland.

hocoblogs@@@

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....