Skip to main content

Ad-mon-ish


Three new board of education members have been sworn in out on Route 108. Three qualified, experienced, motivated members. Three highly-informed, well-prepared members.

Three women.

I noticed something interesting happen as the evening's events unfolded. No sooner than Kirsten Coombs, Christina Delmont-Small, and Mavis Ellis were sworn in, a community member stepped up to the microphone during Public Forum to admonish them about what they must not do. They hadn't even done anything yet--other than win the election, that is--but a concerned citizen earnestly put forth suggestions about what they shouldn't do.

Well, these three ran with the intent to listen to constituents. And listen they did. In fact, there was even a second Public Forum at the end of the meeting. And the current President of PTACHC  held forth on how the new board should comport itself.

Welcome to public service.

At midday yesterday I noticed an open letter to the new Board Members from a former  BOE member, urging them to set certain priorities as they proceed.

In less than twenty four hours three separate individual had come forward to admonish our new Board of Education members.

Three men.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that these are bad men or men with ill intent. I am saying that there does seem to be "a thing" in our society where perfectly capable women are not permitted to step into positions of power without having some nice fellows 'tell it to them straight'. I am weary of this. 

For this and many other reasons I am grateful to sit in the audience and not on the dais.

I was refreshed by the postings of two other men whose statements about last night were delightfully free of admonishment. Bill Woodcock's blog post on The 53, and this, from former candidate Robert Miller:

Last night’s board meeting made me even more encouraged about our new Board of Education. New members Kirsten Coombs, Christina Delmont-Small, and Mavis Ellis demonstrated competence, insight, and passion, and Chair Cindy Vaillancourt and Vice-Chair Bess Altwerger exhibited their experience, acumen, 
and knowledge. Watching this new era dawn was like a load being lifted off of our collective shoulders, and sparked a new excitement for what could be accomplished in HCPSS. Personally, I continue to be very impressed with all of these people, and I look forward to their accomplishments on the new board. Please count me among the many willing to assist when possible and appropriate. Some people feel that “all change is good”, but I disagree; I feel that “good change is good”, and I am very optimistic that we are witnessing “good change”. Congratulations to the members of the new board, to our residents who helped to bring about “good change”, and to the stakeholders who will be positively affected.

Reading that went a long way towards assuaging my admonishment fatigue. 

As I said on Tuesday, the community's work is not done here, and the Board wants and needs our input. But to every thing there is a season. Maybe, just maybe, we can allow three articulate, successful women to assume roles of leadership with the community's support and goodwill. 

Let's start from there.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...