Skip to main content

Ms. M. Demands





It was only a week or so ago that I responded to hateful speech about LGBTQ students with these words:

Stop peddling your poison to the masses.

Last night I was heartsick to see that, instead of any move to cease and desist, former BOE candidate Mavourene Robinson is taking her poisonous views and trying to go viral. She has started a Change.org petition.


Demands: Please immediately stop the expansion of this agenda in Elementary and Middle schools.  Please immediately implement policy and standards requiring public review of all curriculum, videos & programs that include LGBTQ, and requiring parental signature of approval at the Elementary, Middle and High School levels BEFORE children are exposed to LGBTQ curriculum. 


If you hesitate, this additional pop-up appears to exhort you to sign:



There is no LGBTQ indoctrination in our schools. This entire petition is based on a lie. Ms. Robinson continues to put forward the false premise that respecting the civil rights of LGBTQ students is somehow sexual in nature and something that parents can “demand” to shield their children from. 

We all see the ridiculousness of a petition seeking to control and/or prevent any curriculum materials about racial integration. “I don’t want my child exposed to interracial marriage. That doesn’t belong in school!”

This is more of the same. Public school are for all children and for all families. Ms. Robinson’s petition seeks to make life harder for an already dangerously vulnerable student population. Even learning that there is such a petition circulating is hurtful to LGBTQ students and parents. Imagine if someone were circulating a petition, the sole purpose of which was to deny your basic rights to be seen and accepted as a student at school.

I don’t ordinarily tell my readers what to do. Today I’m going to come close. If you find this petition as hateful and unacceptable as I do, click on this link to view the petition, DO NOT CLICK THE RED BUTTON. Scroll to the bottom where you see these words: report a policy violation.



Click on the link and report this petition for hate speech. Don’t worry that clicking on the petition link itself will automatically cause you to sign it. You may see your name/image appear but you have to actually click the big red “sign this petition” button to make that happen.

Schools must be a hate-free zone. Right now we know that LBTQ students are more likely to drop out, try to harm themselves, or die by suicide. This is a crisis we should be responding to with more supports, more positive intervention. And much, much more acceptance.

I would love to see Howard County responding to these “demands” by shutting them down. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....