Skip to main content

Taking Cover




One thing I most assuredly did not have on my BINGO card for 2020 was this:


Ever striving to have its gaze fixed on the next trend and offering consumers the beguilingly up-to-date, our local Mall will be appealing to our desire to stay healthy and safe, while making a fashion statement at the same time. From the article:

“We knew we wanted a PPE retailer as part of our reopening plan, but I didn’t know we would find a company that would bring so much creativity to that role,” says Barbara Nicklas, Senior General Manager of The Mall in Columbia.

About that creativity - - here’s a sampling.



At the moment, the very thought of returning to the Mall fills me with dread. I’d need to have already stocked up with the very items that this store will be selling in advance of a trip. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose? Wait, they appear to have thought of that. (Italics mine)

Shield Pals will be located at The Mall in Columbia on Level 2 (near Apple and Banana Republic) where their full catalog of character face shields, sneeze guards, door openers and gowns will be available along with face masks, hand sanitizers, and other accessories from local suppliers. Online customers will be able to choose a Local Pick-up option from the mall as well.

So here’s a glimpse of Columbia Mall retail in a Covid world. I’m not going to say post-COVID because it’s clear Maryland is moving forward with reopening without meeting most of the indicators necessary for safety. My gut tells me this may very likely prolong the life of the illness in our state. But, heck, let’s get Howard County open, right? 

We must exercise our God-given right to go to the Mall and buy personal protection equipment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...