Skip to main content

F ³: Flash, Crash, Smash, Splash


 Delete. All. Ads.

I’m on a mission. My Facebook feed has become so inundated with the frenzy of “Buy Me! Buy Me!” That I can no longer think straight. 

I just go to that X in the right hand corner and click. 

Go away, “things you must buy on Amazon for under 25 dollars.” Go away, “luxury cookware you cannot live without.” And - - most of all - - Go away, “toddler learning flash cards.”

Toddlers do not need or want flash cards. Age-appropriate activities that toddlers will do with flash cards are: chew on them, throw them, hide them, slide on them like skates, feed them to the dog, dump them in the bathtub to see if they float. Scribble on them. Look at the pictures (briefly). Put them in a bag or purse, dump them out. Repeat.

There are so many choices for gift-giving when it comes to toddlers. Flash cards aren’t one of them. Flash cards come with an added burden: skill and drill. Life for toddlers is full of so much daily living “skill and drill” that - - honestly! - - they do not need any more, especially for things like letters and numbers isolated from any concrete meaning.

Every day toddlers experience a huge amount of practice in the things their caregivers think are important.

  • You need to keep your socks and shoes on in the car. (Who knew?) 
  • Food stays on your plate until you eat it. 
  • There’s a whole process to this potty thing.
  • You will often have to wait.
  • Bedtime and naps are appealing only to grownups.
  • Rules don’t make sense, but you have to live with them anyway.
  • Markers are not really all-purpose.
You think without flash cards that toddlers aren’t learning? Au contraire!

Toddlers are innately curious and will pursue that curiosity as long as it is safe for them. A toddler will persist at overcoming the safety latch on your kitchen cabinets with the diligence of a practicing concert pianist. (Ask me how I know.) That is why they might try everything possible with a deck of flash cards except what adults think they are made for.

There are many ways in which family members can support young children that will prepare them for schooling and what is often referred to as “academics”. Talking with and listening to your child is free and is a huge brain builder. Reading aloud is, too. Buy that toddler a really engaging picture book. Toys which encourage imagination and open-ended play provide hours of enjoyment and contain within them moments of discovery, exploration, experimentation, and joy.

Flash cards? Not so much.

I saw one advert yesterday which did not cause me to run away screaming . It said, “Experiences take up no room in the closet.” While I don’t recommend taking a toddler on a ghost tour (what the ad was for) I do think that experiences like zoo trips, kid’s concerts, museums, and so on make great gifts for young children. Just make sure you know your audience. Some children just can’t sit long enough yet for performances. Others might be terrified by dinosaur bones, or clowns. 

If you are bound and determined to buy a toddler flash cards, I should point out that “seeing how many cards you can drop into the toilet before an adult comes running” is both a science experiment and employs math elements, too. Good luck with that.

And one more thing. Ask the parent before you give their child an accordion.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...