Skip to main content

Bullseye?


 

I’m confused. The title of this piece about the superintendent of schools Bill Barnes’ proposed budget startled me. 

Howard County superintendent’s budget targets struggling students, Jess Nocera, Baltimore Banner 

“Targets.” Targets?



I tend to think as target being largely defined in reference to attack. That’s the last thing that struggling students need and, I suspect, the last thing that Superintendent Barnes has in mind. Yes, “target” can be used in more than one way but I really think we have had more than enough targeting here in Howard County lately and that the Banner might have made a better word choice. 

For instance, this from CBS News: 



“…aims to help struggling students.” There’s a difference.

We know what target means, don’t we? The Associated Press sure does. (Found in a quick search of the Baltimore Sun.)


Speaking of targets, this feels relevant. 


In addition, anecdotal reports from Minneapolis indicate that Target is allowing ICE to stage in their parking lots, use their restrooms, and abduct people from inside their stores. 

Target was founded in Minnesota, which very likely adds to community members’ distress.

To the good folks at the Baltimore Banner: I certainly appreciate local news coverage. But we in the land of civility are painfully aware of what target means. For instance, “Affluent parents target less affluent community for advocating for long-overdue school renovations.” The affluent are well-known in Howard County for finding new methods to target struggling students if it looks like those struggling students are standing in the way of something they want for their own children and/or property values. 

If this all feels weird to you, well…is there anything that isn’t weird these days? And do we really need to add any more targets?






Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...