Skip to main content

Saturday Vision and Value


 

Lesson learned: more folks than usual will read a Friday post if it has a reference to bad language. I suspect that’s because it’s a rare occurrence. I won’t wear it out, never fear.

I would like to extend my full congratulations to the Baltimore Sun for spelling the word doughnut correctly.

Today is a good day for planning ahead if you want a summer job with HoCo Rec & Parks or a role in Fiddler on the Roof with Howard County Summer Theater.

When I am low on inspiration and ideas I continue to find my way to the blog of HoCo local Mike Hartley. 

Mission, Threw Mikes Eyez, Mike Hartley, January 9, 2026

Many of us are simultaneously despairing of current events while also trying to envision our personal paths for 2026. Hartley’s post brought me a sense of peace and a reminder of how much good there is around us.

My mission is to smile. To make other people smile. To be a good father and grandfather, to love. To be a good friend, to be truthful and ethical. To have a good time this weekend and maybe watch some sports. To get the fireplace going and trim my beard.

It reminded me of an exchange I saw on Bluesky last night:

It's incredibly demoralizing to constantly see the highest institutions of government and academia and the most important and widely seen news outlets knuckle under one after another, but then to see the gulf between that and the bravery of communities and neighbors and teachers - that's something.

And this response:

I have been as impressed by the normal people of this country as I have been disgusted by elite institutions and every bit of optimism I have that we are going to make it comes from that.


Food for thought for your Saturday - - this five minute video posted yesterday by Hank Green. 



“There is only one source of value”,  Vlog Brothers, Hank Green


Have a great Saturday. 




Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...