Skip to main content

F ³: Well, Sh**.


 

The man asks a question.

I’m curious, when do you think everything went to shit in the U.S.? I think it was 1976, when Reagan made his first run for the presidency and the tide began to turn in favor of deregulation of everything.

The woman answers.

Sadly: from the beginning. From colonizers slaughtering native peoples to the institution of chattel slavery. In those things are the seeds of destruction. To the extent that we haven’t reckoned with that, we perpetually weaken the democracy we wanted to have.

The man asks another question.

What would that reckoning look like, in your view?

The woman answers.

Owning up to the truth. Reparations. Laws that address systemic racism.

Saying “When did it go bad?”seems to me like saying “When did it go bad for white people?” because it was always bad for nonwhites. Ten years ago I wouldn’t have been considering any of this, by the way.

The man counters.

I don't fully agree. I think there was a very brief period, basically between 1965 and 1975, where there was the possibility of a better, more democratic, U.S. Great Society laws were those attempts, along with various rights movements and Warren court decisions.

The woman asks a question.

You clearly have brilliant credentials and I appreciate your courtesy in responding to me. All I ask is that you ask this same question to your Black colleagues and friends. What do they say?

The man answers.

I think that would depend on their ages, and how much American history they have studied, as well as where they live. But anyone is free to answer my question and offer counter suggestions. In general I don’t find “original sin” arguments particularly helpful as they don’t leave room for progress.

The woman answers back.

In my opinion progress would look like: Owning up to the truth. Reparations. Laws that address systemic racism. There’s plenty of room there to learn and to do better.


*****

The conversation you have read is real. (Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.) No accusations were made. No insults were hurled. It was all quite courteous.

And it was wholly unsatisfactory.

Democracy will never fully be democracy if the people in the dominant culture allow for exceptions as to who is worthy of rights under the law. Anywhere you see people say, “All men are created equal” and, in the same breath, deny this for some - - that is not democracy. 

It is hubris to ask, “When did everything go to shit in the U.S.?” To continue in this vein and, with apologies for the crudeness, to the extent that we called ourselves a democracy and condoned treating “some people” like shit - - we were always shit.

Ahem. That’s really hard for me to say, and not just because of the language. 

We are often taught in school that the United States was created to be a radically world-changing democracy. Do we love our country enough to be honest about our faults and work diligently to be 
better? A bunch of white people having a nice talk about abstract ideals is not democracy if we can’t 
1) comprehend the logical conquences of our misdeeds and 2) make fixing them a priority. We just 
keep making the same mistakes over and over and poisoning the well for everyone.

Admitting fault and taking responsibility in any relationship is uncomfortable. It’s also the only thing that allows for a healthy and worthwhile relationship to continue. It is absolutely a necessary condition for trust, growth and success. 

What do we want? 







Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...