Skip to main content

On This Day



On this day one year ago Howard County Schools were closed due to an impending weather event. Unlike many such impending events, this one did pan out. I know this because I noted that kids were sledding down the hill in front of our house.

On this day in 2021 a lawless mob took part in acts of insurrection at the national Capitol building in hopes of preventing the peaceful transfer of presidential power.

Meanwhile, in Howard County…




Someone smashed their way into the Board of Education building. It was a scary ending to a scary day.

On this day in 2017 former blogger Tom Coale (HoCoRising) wrote a piece entitled “Safe for Six Year Olds” which I liked enough to pass along on Facebook. Thanks to the work of two diligent readers, I have the link for you.

“Safe for Six Year Olds” Tom Coale, HoCoRising 1/6/2017

In 2015 social media was abuzz with the antics of a man named Kirby Delauter. I had forgotten all about him.

On this day in 2011 I posted the following:



On this day
15 years ago

Jan 6, 2011 
It's official! I won an IPad from the Shop Local Contest @elridgepatch. 32gb
-- woo hoo! Thanks, patchfolks! #sojazzed

Remember when we thought that Patch might be our answer to local news? That was an exhilarating time. And brief. 

This morning on Bluesky I saw the following question.




Is Howard County, Maryland, the largest jurisdiction in the country with no local television, radio or newspaper service of any kind?

My guess is that we probably aren’t. Still, hope springs eternal.

In some ways winning the iPad is intertwined with the origin story of this blog. I started writing it in the Spring that same year. On my iPad. 

January 6th is observed in many Christian churches as the Feast of the Epiphany, marking the pilgrimage of the Magi to meet the baby Jesus. 

Merriam-Webster tells us that epiphany has also come to mean:



Taking the leap of faith that such epiphanies are, by definition, good things - - I hope that today has plenty of them to go around and that we’ll be grateful to look back on what we learned.



Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...