Skip to main content

Thinking Snow




I’ve been hearing rumours of snow although maybe they are no more than wishful thinking. This photo popped up in my Facebook memories this morning and now I’m doing a bit of wishful thinking, too.


Chrysalis in the snow, photo credit Nate Pesce, January 2019


This is one of my favorite views of one of my favorite places. Although the Chrysalis holds events in the Spring, Summer, and Fall, this image shows how well it functions as a piece of public art no matter what the season.

The credit for all of the photos in this piece* is listed as “Nate Pesce, for Baltimore Sun Media Group” which makes me think that Pesce was working as a freelance photographer at this time. Certainly he is right now. 

If you search Nate Pesce on Facebook the results will be full of local photos he has taken through the years. High school sports, the opening of a school, snaps at the dog park, political events, Lakefest, library fundraisers, with a smattering of weddings and such. I was tickled to see one of my spouse playing in the orchestra pit of a high school musical theater production.


Photo credit Nate Pesce


All in all, what I think I am seeing in all of these photos is the story of one of the many talented professionals who started out at Patuxent Publishing with real jobs in journalism. They have been bounced around by the changes in the industry which have diminished the value of the human capital that makes good journalism (including photography) possible. 

A tip of the hat to Nate Pesce and all his work capturing our community over the years. Need a photographer? Check him out. Did you know he’s also an experienced cinematographer? Wowza. 

Now I’m going to sign off and wish for a bit of snow.


Village Green/Town² Comments 



*Howard County hit with first snow of 2019, all photos by Nate Pesce

Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...