Skip to main content

The Ongoing Saga of Impossible Expectations


 


The public is nothing if not consistent.

Howard County has been trapped for over a week under snow which soon became ice, better known as “snowcrete.” Ongoing low temperatures have made it excruciatingly difficult to remove.

Yet so many folks are irate that schools didn’t open “yesterday.” I saw one post about how there was no reasonable justification for closing schools “simply for cold weather.”

Please give this person all the variables and constraints and make them come up with a workable plan “yesterday.” We talk a lot in early childhood education about logical consequences. That’s what this armchair critic needs, I think.

This particular kind of response is related to so many others when it comes to schools. 

Have you ever seen snow like this? 
No.
Have you ever struggled to remove snow like this? 
No.

BUT…Schools should have handled this already.

This sounds a lot like the early days of COVID-19, doesn’t it?

Have we ever encountered an illness like this? 
No.
Do we have a vaccine and adequate public health precautions?
No.

BUT…Schools should have handled this already.

If the public expects schools to be magically prepared at all times for challenges that haven’t ever happened before and for which no immediate solutions exist, then…

I’m taking a deep breath here.

Okay. I can think of only two conclusions to that sentence. 

1. …they will always be setting up schools to fail.

2. …no one in the school system is making anywhere near enough money for that kind of treatment.

There are people for whom school closures mean actual harm. When schools are closed, some children don’t eat. Some may have no adult supervision when caregivers have no options. Medically fragile children and those with complex special needs lose so much.

In most cases, the people lecturing online about the inadequacies of snow removal do not represent those vulnerable populations. The tone of their lectures leans very much towards “Do you know who I am?” and/or “I pay your salary!” 

Still, public education is for everyone, even the self-important ingrates. Or rather, it is for all children. Public education is not like room service that the privileged are entitled to receive merely by snapping their fingers.

For those of you who are Very Important People with Very Important Jobs: just do what you’d tell your underlings to do. Roll up your sleeves and come up with a workable plan and then do the work. Not so easy? Why didn’t you have this handled yesterday?

“Don’t you know who I am?”

Rest assured that, after your testy tirades on social media, we absolutely do know who you are.


Village Green/Town² Comments 






Comments


  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...