Skip to main content

Cheap Shots



And now a glimpse of the local Republican Party, in its natural habitat:



Even HoCo Executive Calvin Ball decided to wear MAGA red and stop by to share an enthusiastic smile for the increase in employment tax revenues the Trump Economy has produced.

Insert eyeroll here.

This little bit of “humor” is a reminder that the local Republican organization in HoCo has become, more than anything else, the master of the cheap shot. Whether trolling the County Executive on his Facebook page, (sometimes using fake accounts) doctoring photos, or smearing private citizens, the result is the same: cheap.

Perhaps it is all a big joke to these folks. They merely enjoy having fun at someone else’s expense. When Democrats offer big ideas, they laugh at them. When Dems articulate deep thoughts on tough issues HoCo Repubs mock them for their earnestness or joke that the motivation is corrupt and self-serving. 

It’s all so much fun. Can we stop laughing yet?

Perhaps this stems from a deep resentment that the current County Executive is a Democrat. Or maybe those whose voices are the loudest do not truly represent the local Republican Party at large. But what is being rolled out for public consumption isn’t pretty. They may laugh the Democrats’ big ideas and deep thoughts but at least they have them. 

Where are theirs?

Interesting story: I was at the fair last year, around this time, snapping photos of the sights. I happened to get a pretty good picture of former County Executive Allan Kittleman sitting in a dunking booth. He was already sopping wet. It was just one of many photos I took that day. I was thinking I might do a photo-based story for the blog.

And then...I just couldn’t use that photo. It was an election year and it might have been tempting to run that photo with a “smart” caption but I just couldn’t. I knew that Mr. Kittleman was there, doing his job, but also being a good sport and allowing himself to look foolish in support of some greater cause. And I was not going to be some smart-ass blogger and take advantage of that vulnerability to be witty.

If there are people like that in the local Republican Party, who think first before making the easy joke, we’re not hearing from them. The folks out front with the megaphone are making the rest of them look bad. Disagreement is fine. Putting forth different ideas is fine. Choosing the ugliest way to make your presence known in the public sphere is not.

Is that the platform that HoCo Republicans are going to run on in the next election? “Vote for us because we really know how cream them in the comments department?”

It’s my understanding that, for Republicans to have traction in local elections, they need some Democrats to cross over and some to just plain stay home. At the rate they are going now, neither is likely to happen. People want to believe in something more than cheap shots.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...