Skip to main content

Coming Up



Columbia/HoCo seems to have been divided on the coming of Woodstock, the 50th Anniversary music festival, but everyone can feel pretty jazzed up by tonight’s showing of Woodstock the film at Merriweather Post Pavilion. It’s a ten dollar “sit on the lawn” experience and it probably won’t be so loud that it disturbs the neighbors. Even if you’re disappointed that we’re not hosting a live show, it’s still going to be a fun and nostalgic community event.

Sunday evening brings another one of Merriweather Park in Symphony Woods free Community Concerts at the Chrysalis. This time it’s award-winning Cultura Plenera, who specialize in the music of Puerto Rico. You can learn more here. The concert begins at five pm and I believe there are a few tickets still available. They’re free but you need to register so they can make sure they have adequate parking available for everyone. Bring a picnic or buy food and drinks onsite from the friendly Chrysalis team and/or the folks from Corner Bakery.

Last night I had dinner at a place that I often hear locals rave about: LeeLynn’s. It may be the third time I’ve been there in twenty years. It’s just not in my neck of the woods, as they say. I’d love to know more about the history of the building and the location. It’s an quaint little structure on an awkward piece of land. Despite this, LeeLynn’s clearly has devoted fans who keep coming back.

Three things about last night:

1. Service was excellent. Friendly, knowledgeable, not too fussy. Spot on.
2. Gin and Tonic was flawless.
3. I enjoyed a creative and delicious Mediterranean Salmon dish that combined some out-of-the-ordinary flavors quite successfully.

Also last night:

I managed to get sriracha on my eyeball.

I didn’t get some on my finger and accidentally rub my eye. I accidentally lost my grip on my fork, dropped it into the spicy red sauce, which splattered upward. Into my eye. And that is how I ended up entertaining my dining companion by bathing my eyeball in club soda with lime, because that’s what I had available. For those of you who are familiar with the writing of Mickey Gomez, you will know what I mean when I say it was truly a Mickey moment.



On the blog this weekend: my write up of that MOU signing at the Innovation Center that I’ve been promising. Also, a strange revelation about that new statue in town. Stay tuned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...