Skip to main content

Difficult



I have an online friend who has been posting a question a day as a way of engaging folks during quarantine. Yesterday’s question:

Day 87: How do you start a difficult conversation? Or do you avoid them?

That’s a very good question. 

Right now there are plenty of difficult conversations to be had and most of them are happening online as we are isolating apart from one another. In the past the general advice has been to avoid tackling difficult topics on social media but right now that’s all we have. The difficult local and national events haven’t stopped happening. In fact they seem to be escalating.

Where do you go to have those difficult conversations? Or would you rather not have them at all?

The other day I followed an online discussion about Roger Goodell’s statement acknowledging that the NFL was wrong in its responses to the protests of Black players. One woman said she understood that they had a reason to protest but the way they did it made her uncomfortable. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about that. Isn’t protest supposed to make us uncomfortable? If we remove the aspects that make us uncomfortable aren’t we essentially robbing it of its power? Isn’t there a touch of hubris in whites wanting to “fix” Black protest?

We probably all wish that life could be less difficult right now. There’s not a whole lot we can do to change that. But I’m not sure that retreating from difficult and uncomfortable topics and conversations is the answer. 

Have you had any difficult conversations lately?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...