Skip to main content

Hers and His in Clarksville


 

Another assumption smashed. I naturally assumed that Victoria and Albert Hair at Clarksville Commons was named after this Victoria and Albert.


Image from Windsor and Royal Borough Museum Website


Silly me. The salon was opened in Ellicott City in 1974 by Victoria and Albert Clark. And, if I could find a photo of the founders, I’d put it here. Alas.

UPDATE: This photo found by reader Shannon Drury! I’m impressed.





The current owners are Christie Kaiser and Scott Schmidt.


Image from Victoria and Albert Hair Website


The salon moved from Ellicott City to Columbia in 1986, then opened their new location at Clarksville Commons in 2018. I’ve seen the exterior of the business many times when attending events at the Commons or picking up a meal at the Common Kitchen.

A little internet digging gave me some views of the interior.


Image from Victoria and Albert Hair Website 


Pristine. Immaculate. Soothing neutral tones. I can imagine getting away from it all and spending an hour or so investing in some self-care. 

Well, here comes a new look for Victoria and Albert which will co-exist inside the established hair salon. A new Albert for Victoria, if you will.


Photo credit: Victoria & Albert Hair


The men of Howard County have a new place to go for a relaxing shave and haircut with the opening of an old-fashioned barber shop inside Victoria & Albert Hair. Master Barber, Rob Humienny, and Level 1 Barber, Parker Warner are the newest members of the level structure salon located at Clarksville Commons.

The announcement of the new venture was passed along to me by Kerry Lenny of the Caplan Group. If you’ve ever wondered how I always seem to be up-to-date on things happening at Clarksville Commons, it’s largely because of Ms. Lenny. She keeps me in the loop. 

From the press release:

Occupying its own space within the shop, the barber area features traditional-style leather barber chairs, a whiskey barrel sink, and shiplap accents helping to create a unique and distinctly masculine design. Barbers Rob and Parker offer classic services including straight razor shave, haircut, beard trims, and head shaves. Serving clients of all ages, V&A Barbers offer styles from traditional executive contours to the precision of razor fades and creative sculpting.

The new old-fashioned barber space reminds me of the overall vibes of the sadly-departed Jaxon Edwin Social House in Old Ellicott City.



Jaxon Edwin, photo credit Brian Krista, Baltimore Sun Media Group


While the now-defunct Jaxon Edwin business model included casual food and grownup beverages, it won’t be hard to approximate that at the Victoria and Albert Barber Shop. It’s conveniently located near the Common Kitchen plus the Clarksville Commons Restaurants. (Although I doubt you can have cocktails delivered.)

In some ways it feels to me as though Victoria and Albert has created a Man Cave in the middle of a hair salon. It’s an interesting concept. What do you think of the new look? Have you noticed a resurgence in men you know who are looking for the old-school barber shop experience? 

Since I’ve never experienced the old-school barber shop experience, I have plenty to learn. Fill me in.


Victoria and Albert Hair is on Facebook  and Instagram. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...