Skip to main content

Turning the Tables



 I never watched the Sopranos. Still, this news story shared on TwitterX caught my eye.


Tony’s Booth from Sopranos Finale Sells for $82,600, Remy Tumin, New York Times 


Why? It’s hardly a local story. No, it’s not. But this is:



One sentimental TwitterX user recently posted:

Hey @tacobell IDK if this is possible. But you're currently renovating the location on Minstrel Way in Columbia, MD, and I was wondering if it's possible that I could get a table me and my brother always sit at before you demolish it. It's a tall table with a star etched on it.

I’m familiar with the concept of having a particular place where you always sit at a favorite restaurant. “Oh, that was our booth,” you sigh, full of memories and feelings of times gone by. But - - Taco Bell? While I find the request kind of sweet, it also startled me. 

I once (just once) entered the Minstrel Way Taco Bell. It had been raining. The floor was equal parts sticky, greasy, and slick with rain. I have never returned. 

It’s clear, though, from the (wistful? bereft?) comments that keep turning up on social media that Columbia/HoCo folks love their Taco Bell and are alarmed at its recent closing. (Fear not; it’s only closed for renovations.) 

And for one local fellow it’s not just the burritos he’s missing. It’s a special table: tall, with a star etched into the top. Hmm, I wonder how that star got there in the first place?

Do you have a special table in a local eatery or watering hole? I used to sit in more or less the same place at the now-departed Second Chance Saloon but I don’t think I’d want to own the table. The memories I have are of the place in its entirety - - one table just wouldn’t do it. 

If you could have wangled a piece of a favorite Columbia/HoCo restaurant before it closed or was radically changed, what would it be? I’m not a huge Pizza Hut fan but that central fireplace was key to the overall ambiance. On the other hand, I have no idea where I’d put it. And I wouldn’t pay 82,000 dollars for it, either.


Village Green/Town² Comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...