Skip to main content

F ³: Skyhook


 

A funny thing happened on the way to 2021. After I was diagnosed for ADHD and began taking medication, I mysteriously started doing things my mother did throughout her adult life. There was no conscious effort. One day I simply realized I was doing them. Notably:

  • Doing crossword puzzles 
  • Making the bed daily
  • Reading murder mysteries
  • Feeding the birds
If you’ve read the blog long enough you’ll know that becoming more like my mother has never been a goal of mine. Fortunately, these new habits were benign.

Of the four, the last one has proven to be the most challenging. Birdseed is not cheap. You have to keep buying it. The bags are heavy and you have to store it someplace that is both convenient and does not annoy your spouse. You have to fill the feeder regardless of the weather. 

Still, the rewards are many. Here are a few.




You will become engrossed in the lives of your daily visitors. You may even begin to ascribe personalities to them.



But then there is The Dark Side.


They come by day.




They come by night.


You may think you have found a solution. It will last less than twenty four hours, if at all. 

Friends, I love deer and squirrels. I understand they need to eat, too. But I simply cannot afford to feed all of them and the birds, too. 

When we had to move out for a while this summer, I put the bird feeding on hold. I told myself I’d restart at the first frost. But I still haven’t solved my problem. This looks promising.





But how do you fill the dang thing? I have days when reaching up over my head is downright painful. A ladder? That feels like a lot of added effort. 

Give this set up an elevator function and a remote. I’ll buy it. Who am I kidding? If it were possible to buy this with an elevator function I could not afford it. 

But I have tried affordable options. I have McGyvered creative solutions. Now I want a skyhook. 

Wanted: a birdfeeder that hangs so high that squirrels and deer are outsmarted, once and for all. Plus, it must be easy to clean and to fill. I don’t care if it hangs on a fictional hook, levitates, spins, is protected by a force field, or an invisibility cloak. 

Winter is coming. I have birds to feed. So send me your suggestions - - I’ll probably be reading murder mysteries or doing crossword puzzles. (After I make the bed.)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...