Skip to main content

The Five Hundred and Forty-Four


 

Let’s do the numbers, shall we?

In reading the Banner article about the unveiling of the COVID-19 memorial statue, I came across these numbers:

Since March 2020, Howard County has seen more than 74,000 cases of COVID-19 and 544 deaths.

The article, by Lillian Reed, seems to have more than one title. 

“Howard County unveils COVID-19 pandemic memorial”

And

“Howard County has lost 544 residents to COVID-19. A new memorial honors them.”

I don’t know why they do that. Possibly to see which title gets more engagement?

The numbers: cases of COVID-19 are at 74,000 and counting. This is an ongoing public health challenge. It is not over. 

Deaths from COVID-19 at this time stand at 544. 

Numbers are funny. People who have wanted to downplay the seriousness of COVID act like 544 is practically nothing. A small percentage. A drop in the bucket. Yet we all know that, if even one of those deaths is someone we know, the impact is staggering.

544 people.

How many people went to your high school or are employed where you work? How many people have you been genuinely friends with over a lifetime? Now take away 544. 

Gone.

There are far too many statues in this world to war and conquest. And we spend far too much time in our culture honoring people largely for their wealth and status. 

544 people lived in our community and were felled by a horrific illness. They suffered. They died. Their families and friends grieved and feared for their own vulnerability.

We know that people are far more than numbers, don’t we? It also matters who they were. And, above all else - -  above age, gender, race or ethnicity, or financial status  - -  they were our neighbors. 


Photo from HoCoGov
Artists: Jim Benedict and Lily Kuonen
“16-foot sculpture symbolizes remembrance, comfort, hope, empathy, compassion
                     and the strength of the human spirit.”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...