Skip to main content

Bits and Pieces

 


Giving credit where credit is due:

The same people who brought you the Adult Happy Meal…



…are also bring you Summer Sips Without the Spirits!



Good for them. 

*****

Yesterday was Trifecto’s eighth birthday and you can help them celebrate this Friday.




Trifecto is the kind of place that would be my neighborhood hang out if only there were someplace affordable to live nearby. Ah, well.

*****

Warning: under no circumstances should you view this house listing on YouTube if you are prone to motion sickness. I’m sharing a still shot to protect the vulnerable. 



I don’t know why they didn’t spring for a movie trailer announcer with a deep bass voice and contrasting narrative type rolling over the images, too. Yikes.

 “In a world where houses light up by themselves and the evening stars speed over the rooftops…”

Nice looking house - - though I admit I didn’t see much because I had to switch the video off pretty quickly. 

*****

In other big local news, The Stop Grace Coalition gave away over one thousand lollipops at the River Hill 4th of July Parade.


Each one included information about the Stop Grace Coalition and each one appears to be wrapped in…plastic.


If you happen to know that these wrappers were made of some eco-friendly biodegradable material please let me know and I will print a big fat retraction.

It’s been my experience that candy wrappers are some of the most toss-on-the-ground, improperly disposed of food items.

Go figure.

*****

To the troll on the County Executive’s page who tests my patience regularly, I offer the following:


Original quote by Kayla Chadwick. You can read her piece here. 

*****

In closing, yesterday I was overcome by a need for the food of summer: icy things. Well, that’s what we called them when my kids were little. When I was young they were called Kool Pops. I broke down and bought the big enormous box which should last me for a good while. A few weeks, maybe.

Guess what?


This morning WBAL informed me that it’s National Freezer Pop Day. I am so ready!*


Village Green/Town² Comments


*Blue Raspberry 

 

Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...