Skip to main content

The Adult Zone

 


Meanwhile, back in the Adult Zone…


Cured/18th & 21st is marketing a new Adult Happy Meal special. What makes it “Adult”? A Vodka Martini. 

I myself do not need a Vodka Martini in order to be an adult but perhaps a Happy Meal does. I wonder if the folks with the Golden Arches have any proprietary trademark over that term?

For another take on being an adult here’s this promo from Sobar Maryland outlining their Sobar Secure program.


Sobar Secure® helps restaurants, bars, and venues incorporate or add adult nonalcoholic beverages to their menus while attracting a rapidly growing customer base seeking alcohol-free options.

Through training, sourcing guidance, and national visibility, Sobar Secure® partners learn how to confidently serve non-alcoholic beer, wine, and cocktails while increasing guest satisfaction and beverage sales.

Having watched friends try to find a decent NA beer or get a restaurant to finagle an appealing mocktail, I know that there’s a need for this. Being an adult shouldn’t hinge on alcohol content. Sometimes the hospitality industry needs a nudge.

Here’s an upcoming event that’s more my idea of an Adult occasion:



The Common Kitchen is hosting a Books & Brunch on July 12th with food from Taco Joint and books from Salty Girl Mobile Bookstore.  It’s more than a read-in, however. (Although there’s nothing wrong with that!) 

Go to their Facebook page and learn about what else is in store. 

Common Kitchen Books and Brunch


*****

Reminder: alcohol and extreme heat do not mix. I learned this the hard way as a young adult and I’m lucky I didn’t end up in the hospital. Whether you’re heading to fireworks or hosting at home, please keep this in mind.

Stay cool today and send me your favorite mocktails recipes if you’ve got any.


Village Green/Town² Comments 

Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...