Skip to main content

Under 18 in Columbia/HoCo

 



Wait, what?

I did a double take when these photos from the Youth Climate Institute account caught my eye on Instagram.


You may recall that the Youth Climate Institute is an initiative of the Howard County Conservancy.  The post I came across relates recent activities related to grant support from the Chesapeake Bay Trust.

We're so grateful to @chesapeakebaytrust for awarding The Youth Climate Institute a Healthy Environment, Healthy Communities grant to support four Baltimore chapters in the 2025-2026 school year! Thanks to this generous funding, we were able to provide stipends and action project funding to @sparrowspoinths, @watershedpcs, @official_baltimorepoly, and Academy for College and Career Exploration. Together, these four chapters:

- Raised an additional $2,000 in grant funding

- Installed 16 raised beds

- Installed 42 native plants

- Collected 45 large bags of litter across several clean-up events throughout Baltimore (estimated 1,000 bs)

- Positively impacted 2,500+ Baltimore residents

Thank you CBT for continuing to invest in the next generation of climate leaders!

This is why I did a double take:



My brain interpreted that body language as “young person looking at cellphone.” It isn’t. What she’s holding is…okay, I don’t know what she’s holding but it’s definitely not a cellphone. What we see is hands-on exploration of the natural world and not disconnected scrolling. And I almost missed it because I thought I knew what I was seeing.

UPDATE: Thanks to an astute reader, I now know that the object in question is an oyster. 

I suspect that the Youth Climate Institute helps young people see things they had never been looking for before, so - - why not me?

*****

In the “not a crime, but I’m scratching my head” category: 

The Columbia Association is holding a Tiny Town Hall on August 11th.




The future of our community starts with our youngest voices! We're looking for the little people with the big voices to join CA's first Tiny Town Hall.

CA invites children entering 3rd-5th grade to share their ideas, dreams, and big thoughts about their community.

Through games, conversation, and creative activities, we'll hear what matters most to our youngest residents and help shape a community where everyone belongs.

Tiny Town Hall. 

In my experience both as a teacher and as a parent 3rd-5th graders do not consider themselves “tiny” and might very well be turned off by this framing. Maybe you could get away with it for preschoolers?

Why would you tell young people you want to know their ideas and that you are really going to take them seriously and then call them tiny?

Probably because someone thought it was cute.

I rest my case.

*****


There’s a new bus in town. 



From the Howard County Department of Resources & Services:

Serving children and youth across 6 different summer programs, the Community Connector helps reduce the cost of transportation and remove transportation as a barrier to participate in programs funded by Howard County Department of Community Resources and Services' Office of the Local Children's Board (OLCB).

OLCB and its partner, @hococac launched the pilot program as a safe, organized way to provide transportation support for Howard County youth that can continue serving our community well into the future. 

A lack of transportation shouldn’t prevent kids from participating in summer programs. Removing obstacles to access means they can experience  a summer that’s designed to be safe, active, and fun. And young people bring those positive experiences with them as they grow and as they return to school in the Fall.

What a wonderful idea this is.

*****


My own kids are grown and frankly I wish they’d come and create a fun summer camp for me personally but that’s not how it works. I guess that the reason I continue to look for ways our community supports young people is that my career in education means I’ll always be a teacher at heart. Or possibly I’m just a great big kid.


Village Green/Town² Comments 

Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Columbia Chance Connection

  Last night, as my husband and I were about to sit down to dinner, our front door swung open and a cheery voice announced, “I’m ba—ack!”  We weren’t expecting anyone. Clearly the only people who’d walk right in to our house would be one of our offspring. I had my reading glasses on so I wasn’t seeing too clearly. It seemed too tall for our youngest, but we knew our eldest was at work. I took off my glasses to see a friendly but confused face scanning our living room. When her gaze landed on us we all had a sudden realization. We didn’t know eachother. “Oh I’m so sorry! I’m in the wrong house! My daughter just moved in and she needed hooks for the kitchen so I ran out to get them.” She waved the package. “All these houses look the same and I don’t know the neighborhood yet. I thought this was my daughter’s house.” We were all getting a bit giggly. “That’s okay. For a quick second we thought you were our daughter,” said my husband. I told her our names and said she should defin...