Skip to main content

Inns and Outs

 



I’m thinking this morning about my hotel adventures last summer while our bedroom was being rebuilt. 

Do I hold a grudge? Possibly.

We started out at the Doubletree (Twin Knolls) because it was quite near our house. We reasoned that the location would make it easier to meet with contractors, deal with mail and packages, etc. It started out well enough. The room was comfortable and they had cookies.




Soon we realized we were getting something we didn’t want and it was a serious problem. The Doubletree pumps chemical air fresheners throughout the hotel. In the lobby. In the dining spaces. In all the hallways and public spaces. Possibly in the elevators.

I was allergic. It triggered my asthma every time I left our room. I reached out online to Doubletree Corporate to ascertain whether our hotel was required to pump chemical fragrances. They said the usual corporate things and told me to contact the front desk. 

The man at the front desk said they couldn't possibly turn them all off because there were so many. He said they would turn off a few for my convenience. 

I had an asthma flare. A rescue inhaler wasn’t enough, My doctor put me on steroids. We begged our insurance company to put us in a different hotel.

It took several days but they approved a move to the Holiday Inn in Jessup. I was overjoyed. Not only did they not flood the air with chemicals, they also have special rooms for asthma/allergy guests. I was not a problem for them. My needs were completely reasonable.

Image from Holiday Inn website

I’d like to stress that the hotel was clean throughout and both our room and the common spaces smelled clean, perhaps faintly of mild soap. No more than that. And it was enough. 

My memories of the Holiday Inn, even a year later, are suffused with gratitude. 

Recently when I’ve seen folks online asking for local recommendations for where out of town guests should stay, I tell an extremely brief version of my story. Not everyone is sensitive to fragrances or has asthma and allergy issues. But, if you do, having the knowledge of my experience is going to be extremely helpful.

Additionally, despite the fact that I reached out twice for help, the Doubletree wasn’t really concerned and didn’t do anything significant to help. 

Hospitality. What a concept.

I have some questions for you: 

  1. When you think about booking a place to stay, what are your requirements? 
  2. Is one of them the use of signature fragrances throughout the establishment?
  3. Do you consider this an amenity that would influence your decision to book?
These chemical air fresheners cost money. Does anyone truly want them? Could that money be spent on something that hotel guests would value much, much more?

One more thing: I’d love to know what hocolocal hotels, motels, or bed & breakfast places you routinely recommend, and why. We could all learn a lot from one another.

And I have an idea for a follow-up post…


Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...