Skip to main content

F ³: My Wild Goose Chase to a Place Called Greenleigh

 



I couldn’t resolve the bill by phone. I couldn’t resolve the bill by mail. So yesterday I got in my car and drove forty-five minutes to the place where they generate the bills. They call what they do there Customer Service.

When I arrived I discovered that the building is locked to anyone who doesn’t work there and that customers are never allowed in the building. 

Surprise. 

It’s a long story and I won’t trouble you with the details. The upshot is that I found myself in Middle River at around eleven am and I was too mentally exhausted to hop right back in the car and drive home.

I was in a place that reminded me a bit of Maple Lawn. Very, very new. Mixed use - - offices, a cute little retail center that was mostly restaurants, a few office buildings. Oh, and a hotel. 

Welcome to Greenleigh.*


Image from Greenleigh.com


Greenleigh is Baltimore County's fastest-growing mixed-use community. The master-planned, 1,000-acre project features commercial office, flex, and retail space alongside luxury residential, allowing visitors and residents walkable access to shops, services, and even to work. Greenleigh was designed to prioritize community, convenience, and sustainability.

I looked around and thought about how people will always need places to live but how we mostly see objections and pushback to new housing. There’s always, always a reason not to like it. There’s always folks who show up trying to prevent it.

People need homes. They need shelter. Can we not agree on this?

Oh, sure. But not this housing. Not this location. Not for those people. (Take your pick) 

I passed a sign that advertised “Resort Apartments.” Now, I’m used to seeing the words “Luxury Apartments” and also all the objections whenever those words appear. From what I understand, the word luxury is used in adverts to attract interest. It is not some kind of scientific designation that puts it at a certain price point or guarantees a certain kind of content.

It’s an advertising word. Like “gourmet”. 

But “Resort Apartments” is a new one to me. Is Middle River a resort town? Or are they saying that living in their apartment community is like living at a resort, with resort-style amenities? Have people started coming out to protest “Resort Apartments” yet?

Hmm. Where’s HoCoRising when you need him? (Or WordBones, for that matter.) Sigh…

I treated myself to an early lunch at a feast  fast casual place called Potomac Pizza. I pretty much had the place to myself and enjoyed a veggie pizza. It’s a friendly place and the service was excellent. 


Vegetable pizza from Potomac Pizza, Greenleigh


I drove around the area for a bit before I headed back to Columbia. In some ways it has the feel of a prefabricated new place trying to look like your old home town that gives me that ‘uncanny valley’ vibe. Still, I wonder how visitors felt back in the day when Columbia was new? I suspect there were comments of the “soulless, ungodly desecration of the land” variety even in 1967.

This morning I woke up thinking about origins. I’ve learned quite a bit about the New American City over the years. What about Greenleigh? How did it begin? 

I came across this piece in Dundalk Patch written way back in 2013.

Greenleigh Project Will Bring 'New Urbanism' to Middle River, White Marsh, Marge Neal



Artist's depiction of future Greenleigh development 


Holy moly, will you look at that. The writer is friend of the blog Marge Neal. Ha!

It’s one of those “here’s a press release, now write something” pieces which I suspect aren’t all that fun to write (from a creator’s perspective.) Still, it’s clean and clearly laid out and gives the reader a good sense of this project back when it was merely a twinkle in someone’s eyes. (St. John Properties)

The drive to Middle River was longer than I would have liked. The trip was frustrating. Still, all in all, it was a good reminder that there is much to be learned from venturing outside The Bubble.


Village Green/Town² Comments



*Relatively near to White Marsh, in case you’re wondering.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Columbia Chance Connection

  Last night, as my husband and I were about to sit down to dinner, our front door swung open and a cheery voice announced, “I’m ba—ack!”  We weren’t expecting anyone. Clearly the only people who’d walk right in to our house would be one of our offspring. I had my reading glasses on so I wasn’t seeing too clearly. It seemed too tall for our youngest, but we knew our eldest was at work. I took off my glasses to see a friendly but confused face scanning our living room. When her gaze landed on us we all had a sudden realization. We didn’t know eachother. “Oh I’m so sorry! I’m in the wrong house! My daughter just moved in and she needed hooks for the kitchen so I ran out to get them.” She waved the package. “All these houses look the same and I don’t know the neighborhood yet. I thought this was my daughter’s house.” We were all getting a bit giggly. “That’s okay. For a quick second we thought you were our daughter,” said my husband. I told her our names and said she should defin...