Skip to main content

The Beautiful View

 



So you’re selling your house. You definitely want to show it off to its best advantage. Let’s take this example from the BBC Panel Show QI. A charming, three bedroom cottage in Kent.



Potential buyers who turned up to view the home were greeted with a remarkably different view.


The estate agent failed to inform the public that the property was 100 yards from Europe’s largest nuclear power station. More importantly, they took the real estate listing photos facing the other direction.* (This was in 2009. Dungeness Power Station is no longer in use due to operational issues.)

Aside from the rather daunting view, there are an assortment of documented safety concerns in living close to a nuclear power plant. And that’s assuming the plant is running as designed. The risks go up dramatically in emergency/malfunction situations.

I must say, I probably wouldn’t buy that house.

Now let’s talk about something closer to home.

Do you remember when I wrote earlier about the proposed moratorium on solar projects in Western Howard County?

“Solar sounds great to a lot of folks, but all of the negative impacts are falling on the rural west,” Yungmann said. “The residents of the rural west are receiving virtually none of the benefits.”

Here’s what I need to know:

Solar sounds great to a lot of folks.

     Why does solar sound great to a lot of folks? Elaborate.

All of the negative impacts are falling on the rural west. 

     What are the negative impacts of solar that are falling on the rural west? Please list.

The residents of the rural west are receiving virtually none of the benefits.

     What are the benefits of solar that the residents of the rural west are not receiving? Please list.

Well, good for the Baltimore Sun. Here’s the follow up:

As Woodbine residents complain about solar projects, Howard County weighs moratorium, Council member David Yungmann’s bill targets projects between 1 and 2 megawatts that skip state and county review, April Santana, Baltimore Sun

The answer to my questions boils down to two complaints:

Solar panels will mar my view and may negatively impact my home value.

That’s it.

No safety concerns. No destruction of their own property. No trickery, swindling, or theft.

Solar panels in a rural setting look like this.


Photo from Howard County Government website 


Howard County benefits from solar energy because it reduces our dependence on electricity produced with non-renewable fossil fuels. It’s better for the planet - - that benefits everyone. 

I’m not against solar power, I just don’t want it to spoil my view. 

Solar panels will not expose you to radiation, pollute your air, or poison your drinking water. They will contribute to making our environment healthier. When you look at it that way, perhaps the sight of them might even be - - dare I say? - - beautiful.

It’s all in how you look at it.


Village Green/Town² Comments








*One of the ways to sell a house right next to a nuclear power plant is for the publicity photo of the house to be taken without the plant in shot. In 2009, three-bedroom cottage in Kent was advertised with photo as if the house was away from anywhere, but the estate agent failed to mention that if you stood behind the house you would see that the cottage is just 100 yards away from Dungeness Nuclear Power Station, one of Europe's largest nuclear power stations. When asked about it, the estate agent said: "The thing is, anywhere on Dungeness is close to the power station." BBC QI, Series R, Episode: Radiation


Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....