Skip to main content

A Whole Lava Nothing

 



Are you ready for some tabloid twaddle? 

County Council erupts over inspector general’s access to county records, WBFF Fox 45



Really? “Erupts?” I didn’t know our local government was prone to eruption. 



Actual eruption courtesy of ABC News 


Did people shout and scream? Throw chairs? Stand on the dais? Did angry crowds of observers wave pitchforks and rush at the council?

Against my better judgement I invested 3:49 seconds on this Fox News piece and there is NO ERUPTION. I’m not sure it even goes as far as “sparks flew.” 

Members of the council disagreed. I guess that qualifies as an “alert the media” moment for the folks at Fox, especially if there’s even a remote possibility of making Black people in leadership look bad.

Having watched the piece I feel qualified to ask a question. 

The Inspector General says that she doesn’t have access to information she needs as the law stands now. Council member Opel Jones says she does habe that access without changing the law. 

Where’s the evidence to back any of this up? For example, something like this*:

On seven out twenty inquiries the IG was unable to obtain needed information. 

Or:

Out of X number of county departments, three consistently declined to release requested information citing _________ as a legal impediment.

Without information like this the public is left without the necessary context to make an informed judgement.




It’s just the same old, same old for Fox News.


Village Green/Town² Comments 


*I made up these examples. Under no circumstances is the reader to suggest these two sentences constitute actual facts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...