Skip to main content

Bridge Columbia: Trick or Treat?

We are continuing to read about the proposed Bridge Columbia project in the newspaper and see it discussed in local blogs and on Facebook because of the grit and determination of The Friends of Bridge Columbia. I am excited to see them keep this idea moving forward. Any big change takes continued forward motion and persistent outreach to the community.

In following the Bridge Columbia discussion this past week between The 53 Blog and Columbia Compass, I had a vision. Imagine, if you will, that Columbia and Howard County residents are symbolized by the trick-or-treaters in the classic Peanuts Halloween special, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

Let's get in the mood, shall we?

At each house, handfuls of candy are thrown into the bags of the children. Imagine that these treats are pieces of information about Bridge Columbia. All of our trick-or-treaters get something different: "I got an iconic local landmark!" "I got a pedestrian/biking/transit bridge!" "I got a connection from the Hospital and HCC to Blandair Park!" Everyone gets something. Well, not everyone. What about Charlie Brown? As the others watch their bags fill up with loot, he laments,"I got a rock."

In my HoCoLocal version I see a few folks who seem to come away with something similarly unexpected.

After each presentation, each article, each blog post and conversation,
they look into their bags and say,

"I'm not convinced."

This is not to single anyone out for criticism. For example, Bill Santos, a blogger for whom I have the utmost respect and whose views are always well informed, has reservations about this project. And he has gone out of his way to contribute to civil discourse, something all communities and all progress require. And I'm grateful for that. The Charlie Brown character, then, is useful here in illustrating how members of a community can engage in identical activities and events but emerge with differing experiences and opinions.

Supporters of Bridge Columbia, and I am one, have to give some serious thought to our friends and neighbors who are not convinced. This does not mean that they are to be mowed down with snark, nor should we see their opposition as a reason to give up.

Bill Woodcock's post, "Uniting Two Columbias", was a very healthy response to our dilemma, in my opinion. He added another thread to the discussion as he talked about how developing shared interests can foster a sense of community. Columbia won't survive without both. And Bridge Columbia can be a vital ingredient in the mix.

In the Halloween TV special, the other children don't care what Charlie Brown gets or doesn't get in his bag. Their trick-or-treating success and their enjoyment of the holiday are completely unaffected by his failure. They don't care and they don't have to.

But we must care. The effort to identify and nurture common interests between villages begins anew with every discussion of Bridge Columbia, one on one, neighbor to neighbor. Whether over cocktails, or coffee, on Facebook, or at a County Council hearing, we have the chance to listen, learn, and speak our minds with sincerity.

A healthy, vibrant Columbia in a successful, dynamic Howard County requires this of us: our best effort.

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving." --Oliver Wendell Holmes

hocoblogs@@@







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...