Skip to main content

Lost and Found


 

Last week I had a bit of an adventure. Of course this is one of those “I took a wrong turn in Columbia” stories. I was coming home from picking up an item from my Buy Nothing group and found myself in unfamiliar territory. It was a cul de sac but without any houses around it. A dead end, I suppose, and I was about to turn around when I saw this guy.



He was so friendly that, when I rolled down my window to get a better picture, he just about climbed in my car. It was one of the many times in my life that I lamented being allergic to dogs. Those eyes! That sweet nose! That goofy tongue!

I went home and posted it on social media. So did someone else. This fellow was making the rounds! Later I read that he had been taken to Animal Control. 

Then yesterday someone posted this:


Same dog? And, if so, why is this poor guy still on the loose with no collar? Also, what about the dog that was taken to Animal Control? I’m hoping that someone reading this will recognize this dog. I’d love to help him get home.

Speaking of photos that tug at your heartstrings:


Awww…

I had to laugh at myself because, even though the photo clearly identifies the location, I immediately assumed that the shop was located in Old Ellicott City. Sweet, quirky, off-beat: must be Ellicott City, right? No, no, no. Comics to Astonish is in Columbia, on Snowden, and I knew that. Really, I did. It’s funny how one’s brain makes assumptions. Columbia doesn’t have anywhere near enough sweet quirky off-beat shops, in my opinion.

Anyway, if you know this cute little lost plushie, well - - you know - - let’s help them get reunited with their (probably distraught) owner.

*****

P.S. Tonight at the Lakefront, the return of movies with Mr. B. This evening’s offering is “Ralph Breaks the Internet”.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...