Skip to main content

Famous

 



Back in the spotlight in this ad campaign from Reebok is musician Brent Faiyaz.


Brent Faiyaz. Columbia, Maryland. Singer-songwriter. Individual. Made up of everything true. Navigates creativity imperfectly, distinguishing himself from what already exists. Life Is Not a Spectator Sport. 

Faiyaz is a graduate of Long Reach High School. He was known in those days as Christopher Brent Woods. He’s 26 years old and has been making music in Los Angeles since around 2015. He is now one of a small group of artists featured in Reebok’s Life is Not a Spectator Sport Campaign.

A fun fact: Faiyaz is listed as one one four notable alumni on the Long Reach High School Wikipedia entry. The others are Ron'Dell Carter, NFL player; Ian Jones-Quartey, animator; Darryl Webb, basketball player.

Since I’m such a big advocate for arts education, I’d love to know what kind of experiences Faiyaz had in our school system. Were music classes the highlight of his day? Or were his interests outside of the traditional band-chorus-orchestra curriculum focus? If I can figure out how one can successfully reach out to a well-known recording artist, I’ll ask. 

Interestingly enough, a quick scan of Twitter showed that fans weren’t particularly interested in the Reebok campaign. What they’re looking for? New music.

Mannnnnn Saw Brent Faiyaz trending & thought he was releasing music

Saw Brent Faiyaz trending and I thought he was releasing new music

So are we ever getting new @brentfaiyaz or nah?

@brentfaiyaz new music brother, drop it

@brentfaiyaz my Virgo brother, please I need a new album 

You can follow Faiyaz on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. He has a TikTok but it’s relatively recent.

Are you familiar with his music? Or did you perhaps know him back in his Columbia days? I’m always curious about the stories behind someone’s life choices, especially when it comes to the arts. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...