Skip to main content

Make My Day


 

This week a friend suggested I check out a Facebook group all about soup. Yes, there are groups just for soup lovers. Who knew? Considering how much I publicly long for soup in my blog and on social media, it seemed like a very good fit.

It turns out that the greatest joy I have experienced from this group so far has come not from recipes or tantalizing photos but from posts like this:


And:

Does anyone  have a good potatoes soup, that is more brothers then creamy? Thanks in advance.

Yikes.

I am a sucker for typos and bloopers and humorous autocorrects. I grew up in a home that fostered word play. We listened over and over again to our two Kermit Schafer “Pardon My Blooper” albums on my dad’s hi-fi stereo system and got the same helpless giggles every time. Of course, the naughtier ones went over my head. (I never noticed.) Certain audio clips became catch phrases around the house, notably, 

This is an educational toy. It teaches children how to cuss.

In my late elementary years I seized upon two paperbacks of my mother’s that were collections of newspaper bloopers. I read them. And read them. Then I went around the house reading choice selections to my family members. Then I committed entire sections of the books to memory. I must have been a joy at the dinner table during those days. 

I can still recite portions of those books word for word…many years later. 

Lettuce won’t turn Brown if you put your head in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator.

When the baby is done drinking, unscrew and put under a cold tap. If the baby does not thrive on fresh milk, it should be boiled.

Spend your Saturday nights out on the town and your Sunday mornings in bed with a Progressive Alaskan.

Oh my. This could get out of hand.

I am so fortunate for all the people in my life who fostered my love of words and language. That’s undoubtedly why I am still writing every day. A side effect of all that ‘word love’ is the inordinate joy I take in bloopers, typos, you name it. Why, just recently:



My friend Marge, a retired journalist, has a similar fascination. We send such gems back and forth via text messaging. Some people collect antiques. We collect gaffes. Word play may never increase in value over time like physical objects, but, on the other hand, a really good typo can absolutely make my day.

Unless it’s mine, of course. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...