Skip to main content

An Accidental Tourist?


 

This, my friends, is a chukar.

Chukar sighting in Howard County, 2026 via Western Howard County Shares

And here’s another one.


Chukar sighting in Washington County, 2025 via MD Birding


I had never seen nor even heard of a chukar before coming across the image posted on the Western Howard County Shares Facebook Group. 

This chukar was seen at Glenwood Middle School, this morning in case anyone is missing a member of their flock!

On the basis of two images and absolutely no research I concluded that the chukar is short and round. No, it’s upright and skinny. What’s going on with the neck here?


It’s okay. You can laugh. My knowledge of birds is limited.

What I know now is that the chukar is a partridge. It is not native to Maryland. Usually when you see one it’s because it is being used as a “bait bird” in recreational hunting activities.

Sigh.

As far as the particular chukar spotted in Howard County, I don’t think they were able to ascertain where it came from. According to one respondent, the local Dayton Rod and Gun club does absolutely no live animal shooting whatsoever. (strictly target shooting.) There was some discussion that it might have wandered off from someone’s private flock.

Are there any rules about raising non-native birds? I don’t know.

I went to the website of the Howard County Bird Club to see if I could learn more. Alas, I went cross-eyed scanning a very long list of birds. The chukar may be there somewhere…

I found the following categories at the bottom of the HoCo Bird Field Checklist.




My favorites: Casual, Accidental, and Hypothetical. It made me think: what kind of a Howard Countian are you? Casual? Accidental? Hypothetical?

If a non-native bird is brought here against its will to be shot at, what kind of category would that be? I’m still thinking about that.








Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...