Skip to main content

F ³: The Ick

 


I watched a video of comedian Josh Johnson yesterday in which he describes a phenomenon called “the ick.” It’s somewhere in here.

From Merriam Webster:

Ick, usually the ick, refers to a sudden feeling of disgust or repulsion that causes a permanent reversal in feeling toward a romantic (or potential romantic) partner. Ick is also used (often without the, as in “a list of icks”) for the cause of the disgust or repulsion itself. It is sometimes used more broadly for a feeling of disgust or repulsion outside of the context of romantic relationships.

Johnson describes an experience where he’s pretty sure that his own behavior gave a potential girlfriend that “ick” sensation. He does it in a way that is both self-deprecating and hilarious. By using himself as the awkward one, he has you laughing and rooting for him at the same time. 

I had never heard the term “the ick” before yesterday. I thought a little bit about whether “the ick” is the same thing as a “red flag”.  Are they the same? If not, how are they different?

Later yesterday, as I was driving back towards Baltimore, I chose a podcast that looked pleasant enough: a lighthearted interview with late night host Jimmy Kimmel. Two guys, some trivia challenges, humorous back and forth, recollections and banter.

Then it happened. I realized that whenever Kimmel talked about seeing women performers he invariably included the phrase “still looks great.” 

“I saw so and so. She still looks great!”

He never used those words for men.

That, my friend, gave me the ick. 

Why on earth does this man think that these words are the ultimate benediction? Why does he have the hubris to bestow them like a preschool teacher giving out stickers?

You may be a singer, a dancer, an actress, or any kind of a mover and shaker in public life but what matters to Jimmy Kimmel (and plenty of other men, I suspect) is whether you “still look great.” Once a woman reaches a certain age the only thing about her that matters is her shelf life.

This is a Big Giant Ick.

I switched off the podcast. It had suddenly become an event I wanted nothing to do with. In fact I wanted to wash the entire experience off of myself and forget I had ever shown it any interest whatsoever.

I’ve heard plenty of positive things about Jimmy Kimmel over the last year. That’s probably why I thought I’d give this interview a try. Seeing him frame his descriptions of women like that was both a big ick and a big tell.

There are other podcasts and other views I’d rather give my time and attention to. 

Have you ever experienced something similar? Let me know.


Village Green/Town² Comments




Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...