Skip to main content

The Trouble With Renters


 

The trouble with renters is that they are looking for a decent place to live that they can afford. 

That’s it. That’s the problem.

They’re not inherently “less than” homeowners. They aren’t guaranteed to represent a transient/bad element in a neighborhood. 

They don’t care less about where they live. 

Renters do valuable, necessary jobs in a community and by valuable I mean something you need that you couldn’t do yourself. That could be teachers or nurses or firefighters but can also be the cook in your favorite restaurant, a mechanic, janitorial staff at the hospital or the check out clerk at the grocery where you like to shop.

But, in fact, it doesn’t matter whether any particular homeowner thinks that renters are worth including. It’s ridiculous to think that anyone needs to make a case to include them. How would you like it if your sense of belonging in any given place was dependent upon someone else’s opinion?

Renters belong in Howard County and yet so many folks have decided that they are the people who don’t count.

One of the questions I keep seeing on the Columbia and Howard County Reddit pages pertain to rental housing. Some of them look like this: 

Liked the place when I toured the model.  Staff was friendly and helpful - location works well for me.  But, Google reviews seem to be largely negative, based on maintenance and office staff responsiveness.   But most reviews were over a year old.  Any current or recent residents who would like to share their experiences?   Thanks.

Some are from folks moving here from elsewhere and asking for recommendations of good places to rent in a specific part of the county.

The more I read these, the more I wonder about:

1. what we could do to make this search process better, and 

2. whether we do anything to make sure that rental properties are responsive to tenants. 

To be clear, I’m not saying that this doesn’t exist already. I’m saying these are things I wonder about and I want to learn more.

There’s so much focus on home ownership in Howard County. Yes, there are very good reasons to promote and support home ownership. But almost everyone at one point or another will be a renter. And some folks, whether we acknowledge it or not, will always be renters. 

Their lives and their needs should be every bit as important to us. We have “blue ribbon schools.” Do we have “blue ribbon” rental properties? “Blue ribbon” rental search organizations? 

Imagine for a moment that the world has been turned in its head and that renting has become the high-status, preferred choice. What kinds of services, supports, and generally positive bells and whistles would the market create for them? Do you have that picture in mind? Good. Now let’s make it so. 

In short, the trouble with renters is not them. It’s us.


Village Green/Town² Comments 



Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...