Skip to main content

Easter Monday



In order to make up for lost school time, due to weather closures, today will be a school day in Howard County. No one is overjoyed by this, least of all people who had plans made well in advance. 

I have nothing useful to add that hasn’t been said by other people already. It may be a difficult day in some schools. It may be just fine in others. This feels like a good opportunity to remind folks that we continually ask schools to turn on a dime, pick up the slack, and just  “make it work” under more than challenging circumstances. 

*****

If you don’t have work or school commitments today you can always wander over to Clark’s Elioak Farm. They’re open, too.


*New* We will be open Monday, April 6th

WITH Egg Hunts • all day!

Open Hours

10AM-5PM

We will also be open every other day this week and resume our regular hours of Tuesday through Sunday 10 AM to 5 PM (5:30PM on weekends)

Come on out to enjoy our brand new baby goats!

*****

Speaking of egg hunts…

If you’d like to begin the week with a laugh may I recommended this lovely reminiscence from friend of the blog Marge Neal. It’s not HoCoLocal but we can call it “HoCo adjacent” - - since it takes place in Baltimore County. 

An Easter Egg Hunt for the Ages, Scribbles from the Margen

It’s a great reminder that, even with the best intentions, things do not always go the way we expect.

Have a great Monday no matter what you have planned and/or whatever life throws at you.








Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...