Skip to main content

NDNA in HoCo




Here’s a local job listing. 


Sounds interesting. (If you don’t need health insurance and other benefits, that is.) Do me a favor and think for a moment. Imagine the kinds of activities that this job will entail.

Okay?

Now look at this.


Must have own transportation, must be able to operate an automobile…hmm…

Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, remain seated for long periods of time, and bend,stoop, reach, and climb without difficulty.

Wait, what?

Read the original job description again. Do these additional requirements make sense to you?

They do if you understand that they are quite useful in discouraging people with disabilities from applying. It against the law to discriminate against the disabled in matters of employment. However, if you articulate specific requirements that would exclude applicants with disabilities…

That’s not technically discrimination.

Or is it?

Imagine you are skilled and capable and can perform all of the tasks the job outlines, but you are disabled. You want to work. You could be a prime candidate for the position.

Tough luck. Those words mean - - essentially - - No Disabled Need Apply.

Now imagine how that impacts everything else in your life. Transportation, health care, housing.

I read this morning that some members of the County Council don’t think we should be investing in the development of rental housing. Describe to me the pathway to home ownership in Howard County for a skilled, capable job applicant who is willing to work who can’t even make it past the job advertisement to participate in an interview process. 

I’ll wait.


Village Green/Town² Comments







Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...