Skip to main content

Way Too Much Fun


 

I’ve been known to indulge myself with “what if?” posts over the years. What if I could own the Columbia Flier Building and live there? What if I could redo it along the lines of the HGTV show “Extreme Homes” or “You Live in What?”?

What if the Wilde Lake Village Center could be turned into a History of Columbia theme park?

What if the Lakefront could be transformed into a kid’s birthday party paradise?

What if the students in Howard County schools could begin each day by writing a thank you note?

This is why I absolutely have to hand it to Jeremy Dommu of The Merriweather Post for taking that concept and running with it.

Buc-ee’s is Heading North, The Merriweather Post 

Dommu takes the what if…

Is Maryland's I-95 corridor its next exit? Does Howard County have the land? Does it want the beaver?

…and gives it the full Merriweather Post treatment. 

It’s delightfully speculative yet still backed up by the kind of well-laid out assessment of the available facts for which Dommu has come to be well-known in these parts. When I suggested in the comments that he may have had too much fun writing this piece, Dommu countered that he had “just the right amount of fun.” 

He probably has the facts to back that up.

I don’t know anything about Buc-ee’s and I have no opinion about his proposal, whimsical or otherwise. It’s just so dang fun* and right now I think we could all use some of that.

The Merriweather Post Facebook account has been posting more of late and I welcome the renewed activity. 

Have you ever visited a Buc-ee’s? What’s your take on all this?


Village Green/Town² Comments 



*I have it on good authority that the post contains twelve beaver puns and three subtle Star Wars references. Go to it!





Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...