Skip to main content

Need to Get Away?


 

If you’re looking for a change of scene, may I recommend the Tip Top Motel? Apparently their sign is notable for its vintage qualities.


Image shared on Reddit: r/vintagesigns


Why visit the Tip Top, you ask? Well, they have this lovely video on YouTube. It’s one minute and twenty- one seconds long. You have the time. 



In fact, I watched it more than once because I wasn’t quite sure if it was serious or a spoof. See what you think. It’s worth it just for the dining recommendations.

This video was posted two days ago and I wonder if the timing has anything to do with a recent announcement by County Executive Calvin Ball.

Howard County Executive Calvin Ball Announces Strong Support for Zoning Regulation Amendment to Revitalize and Redevelop Aging Motels Along Route 1

For generations, our Route One Corridor has been a vital economic hub for our county and state. Route One has the incredible potential to be transformed into an active, vibrant, mixed-use hub that supports residents, creates jobs, and fosters community. However, we know that more can and must be done to address blight, revitalize the corridor, and move our shared vision for a Route One forward. Through ZRA-221, we are listening to the many residents who have urged action by creating a real pathway to transform aging motel properties along Route One. This legislation offers us long-term, strategic answer to transform these properties and fulfill our shared vision for this corridor. 

So is this new promotional video from Tip Top a push back from one of those businesses?

Look at us! We’re not an example of blight. We’re a perfectly respectable establishment!

Or, are they putting themselves out there in the hopes of connecting with some of the transformational support Dr. Ball is announcing?

If you’re thinking of spreading some revitalization around, maybe look in our direction.

I don’t know. It could be completely unrelated.

I do know that choosing Cyberwebs LLC* to do their video may not have been the best choice.




Aloha! See you at the Tip Top?

If you have any knowledge about this place (or personal experiences you’d be willing to share) let me know.


Village Green/Town² Comments


*AI is not your friend, folks. 


Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...