Skip to main content

Bathroom Blues

 


At the risk of dating myself: the year is 1975. I’m ducking into the girls’ room across from my ten o’clock algebra class. It’s filled with girls. And cigarette smoke. 

Smoking at school was allowed in those days -  - outside. Of course it didn’t just stay outside.

I hated it. I hated the smell of the smoke which clung to my clothes and made it hard for me to breathe. I hated competing for the few stalls available when at least one contained someone standing on the toilet seat and burning a message into the ceiling tile with their lit cigarette. It never ceased being a hostile environment to me.

By my senior year they had started locking many of the student restrooms. By that time I had figured out which of the faculty bathrooms I could slip without being caught. 

All this is to say that if anyone tells you that kids today are so much worse than back in the day…Are they?

Howard County schools can’t keep up with bathroom vandalism. Their solution? Lock them,  Jess Nocera, Baltimore Banner 

To be clear: I don’t have first-hand experience with what the school bathroom situation is today. I do know that a big difference between 1975 and today is that the adolescent experience has been warped and distorted by dependence on smart phones and social media. So how does that impact known adolescent behavior? Teens push boundaries. That’s nothing new. They experience changes in hormones that make it difficult to self regulate. They often feel the need to do things to impress the crowd.

Has the combination of normal adolescent ups and downs combined with the addictive nature of social media created something bigger than the sum of its parts? Maybe?

But here’s something else I ponder. If we’re still struggling with school bathroom behavior after all these years then maybe we haven’t been addressing the problem correctly. Are we so busy pulling people out of the river that we never get to the point where we go back see why they keep falling in? 

Kids who vandalize school bathrooms could be kids who don’t vandalize school bathrooms if we knew how to unlock the key - - inside of them - - that motivates that behavior. I don’t know the answer but I think it is worth finding out.

Locking bathrooms or adding expensive, high-tech surveillance equipment doesn’t resolve the issue. It’s a reaction. It doesn’t address the root of the problem.

One interesting approach that sparked my curiosity this morning is the suggestion that the fundamental design of school bathrooms strongly contributes to bad outcomes.

Outdated by Design: Why It’s Time to Rethink School Restrooms Once and For All, Kerri Brady, Essentials.Edmarket

Outdated by Design: Imagining School Restroom Safety Through Prevention and Privacy, Kerri Brady, Essentials.Edmarket

Worth a look if you have a minute. 

For generations, architects have been invited into conversations about safety only after inevitable harm has occurred — when the task is to repair, rebuild, and mitigate future damage. Yet the built environment holds enormous potential for prevention, where thoughtful design makes intentionally harmful behavior less likely to occur in the first place. Rethinking restroom design through this lens connects directly to the real challenges students and districts face every day. By relocating non-private functions into visible, supervised zones, the time students spend in truly private areas is dramatically reduced. The result is an environment that preserves privacy where it matters most and adds visibility, where appropriate, to strengthen safety and accountability.

Some photographic examples from the second article:




Notice how each toilet cubicle is a fully private space. The handwashing area is open to the school hallways. Can you see how that might change how students use these spaces?

One last thing: being able to use the toilet is a basic human right. It is one of the main reasons why schools are required to close if there’s a water outage: toilet use. So locking bathrooms is not and never can be seen as a solution no matter how difficult the situation. Taking away a human right is not a logical consequence to behavior. 

I’d love to see the community and school system unite around solutions that fundamentally address the problem and respect students’ basic needs and rights.

What do you think?


Village Green/Town² Comments


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....