Skip to main content

Growing Up



She has always favored her dad. There’s no argument about it. My older daughter looks just like me so it’s only fair. Through the years I’ve occasionally sat across from them in restaurants and marveled. Not only at the physical resemblance but at the body language, the tilt of the head. The twinkle in the eye.

It’s uncanny.

Last night was one of those nights where I sat across from them at Mission Barbecue and saw it again. And thought about how she will be eighteen in less than a month. I watched as they discussed a music composition she is working on for school. I smiled as he asked her how something on his phone works and the two of them bent their heads over it as she explained the finer points.

And then, over their shoulders, a television on the wall caught my eye. It was showing this ad:

https://youtu.be/7iZfaep_LS4

It’s a Travelers Insurance spot called “Growing Up”.

She has always been her father’s daughter. Neither one of them are big criers. They keep a lot on the inside but, boy, is there a lot going on in there. But something about this ad, and at that particular moment...

I got teary. I had to look away.

My two don’t have a Travelers Insurance, “I’ll always dry your tears” relationship. But the bond they have is deep, and every bit as beautiful. He bought her very first train set when I said she was too young for trains because it had a voice activation component that would encourage her to talk.

He just knew.

He has been encouraging her to do for herself from her earliest years. And he has sometimes had to remind me that she really can do it, and that I need to let her.

Let her try. Let her fly.

All you fathers of daughters out there, I see you. You don’t have to be like the dad in the ad but for heaven’s sake, just keep doing what you do.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...