Skip to main content

One Hundred Years and Other Good News



If you need a little good news to help you ease into your Monday, may I suggest:

Columbia barbershop marks 100 years of haircuts — and mentoring Black barbers, Jess Nocera, Baltimore Banner 

Photo credit Jessica Gallagher, The Baltimore Banner


It’s a beautiful and thorough piece about Warren’s Barber Shop in the Owen Brown Village Center. Warren's is the first Black-owned barbershop in Howard County. And no, nothing in Columbia is a hundred years old, obviously. You’ll have to read the story to learn more about their roots. 

The Village of Owen Brown doesn’t pop up in the news all that often. Although, over last year or so it has been a pretty happening place. The Department of Recreation and Parks has worked with the community to fine tune plans for a new East Columbia Library Park, and the new East Columbia 50+ Center received the “Large Project of the Year Award” , awarded by the County Engineers Association of Maryland (CEAM). 

And, while it may not make the news, the Owen Brown Interfaith Center hosts a number of community events all throughout the year. I would hazard a guess that the Interfaith Center’s capacity for meeting and event space brings many people to Owen Brown who would never have come there otherwise. 

The Unitarian Universalist Congregation maintains a Free Pantry which is kept stocked with both non-perishables and produce throughout the year. This “no questions asked” initiative supports Owen Brown neighbors who are experiencing food insecurity. 


Image from UU Columbia website 


Wait. Did I forget to mention that the Library has installed a solar panel canopy in the parking lot?


Images courtesy of A. MacDonald 


Oh! And the 50+ Centers will now be open on Saturday mornings. (That includes the East Columbia one, yay.)





Have a wonderful Monday. Have any local news? Let me know.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...