Skip to main content

Where’s My Dinner?


 

We did not lose power as a result of last night’s storm and high winds. You can bet I am suitably grateful about that. We had a perfectly boring, rather retro suburban dinner planned and I was able to cook it without any difficulties. 

It used to be that a good deal of Columbia felt insulated from power outages due to our lines being underground. That hasn’t been as true in recent years, or, maybe I’m imagining things. That being said, I’ve certainly observed a fair amount of smugness over the years from the Columbia contingent when the topic of power outages comes up.

So I went to bed feeling grateful that the power outage gods had passed over us and this morning I woke up feeling like an idiot. I’ll tell you why. 

Last night I saw post after post from folks looking for restaurants that hadn’t been impacted by the power outage. Eat in, carry out, delivery - - you name it. Sadly, there were plenty of posts from restaurants announcing that they’d be closed for the evening due to power loss. My heart hurt for them because I knew they’d be impacted not just by the loss of business but because all of the perishable food they had onsite might be rendered unusable, too. 

So something about those inquiries from the public looking for dinner irked me. All of these poor restaurants suffering losses and all they care about is their own personal dinner? They don’t care as long as their own Sunday night dinner plans are accommodated?

“Where’s my dinner?”

When I went online this morning a light dawned : our desperate restaurant seekers didn’t have power, either. Perhaps what they had planned to eat was now an impossibility.

Duh.

How often have I done that? How often do we all do that? We take the information that we have and form an opinion based on our own personal experiences and inclinations. A lot of the time that works for us but sometimes we are very, very wrong.

In this case I kept my short-sighted opinions to myself and my skewed perceptions didn’t harm anyone. But it has really set me to thinking about how much harm is done in our community and even more broadly when people are content to form opinions and act on them with only a limited amount of information, plus: the general resistance (inability?) to rethink once more information becomes available.

Frankly, it creeps me out.


Village Green/Town² Comment 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...