Skip to main content

Please Touch

"Students often come to school with a tactile deficit."

This article from NPR about the Maker movement and mainstream education was introduced with that sentence. It grabbed my attention immediately. I talk a lot on this blog about hands-on education. There's a reason. Multi-sensory education is the most memorable.

It's often the most joyful. And empowering.

So what does a tactile deficit look like?

As a preschool and kindergarten teacher I frequently encountered children who had never used scissors at home, nor glue, glitter, play dough, or paints. "I don't want that mess in my house!" And then there were the anxious parents who made sure to spend extra time every day on workbooks and skill/drill activites with their young child, to help them get ahead.

These children were often lacking in the most basic skills of childhood. Some were reluctant to cut or glue because they didn't know how. Some were afraid to get dirty and risk parental disapproval. On the other hand, some were so desperate to have these messy, squishy experiences that it was hard to get them to do anything else.

There is a deep need in all of us to touch, manipulate, create, build, experiment. It is a sensory need and a cognitive need. It supports a willingness to take risks and fuels a healthy sense of well being.

And none of it can be assessed through high stakes testing.

When we went to the fireworks the other evening at Talbott Springs, my daughter marveled at the activites around us. "We never got to use this field," she said of the big, beautiful green space where children were running free. "Well, sometimes for soccer. And sometimes they made us run around the field four times."

"Why?"

"I don't know. It was some kind of a race between the grades that we had to, I don't even know why they made us do it. We got a sticker on our charts."

She just kept looking around. "They never let us use the field the way we wanted to."

"Like--how?"

She pointed to a little boy digging in the dirt with a stick. And someone nearby was playing a pretend game at the base of a tree where the roots spread out.

"And they used to let us play over there but they stopped because the sand made our hands dirty."

Some children come to school with a tactile deficit. And some have it thrust upon them. Every time hands-on, multi-sensory ways of learning are replaced by subjects that can be assessed through high-stakes testing, we sacrifice the best kind of learning. And therefore, we are sacrificing our children.

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....