Skip to main content

Facing Facts


It’s possible that I haven’t been to Reisterstown in thirty years. Thoughts of taking public transportation after work to my childcare certification classes were running through my head yesterday as I used the GPS in my iPhone to find my way to a CVS on Reisterstown Road. A lot about my life has changed in those years.

I was far outside my usual bubble and headed to an appointment for my first COVID vaccine thanks to a friend with mad appointment-setting skills. 

For those of you following along at home, this was my first visit inside a retail establishment since mid-March of 2020. Holy Mackerel - - Easter Candy! - - was my immediate internal response. People, merchandise, lights, signage, labels, displays...it has been a long time since I’ve been out. What a cheap date I would be these days: let’s go to the CVS and look at Easter Candy.

In the interest of brevity, I won’t outline every detail of my visit. Most important to me is the conversation with the nurse who administered my vaccine.

“Good morning, how are you today?”

“Excited!”

“Excited?”

“Yes, excited to get my vaccine. And excited to be here. This is the first time I’ve been in a store since March of 2020.”

“Really?”

“Yes, it’s crazy how excited I am to look at Easter candy. I’m looking forward to being back.”

“I never left,” the nurse said quietly as she pushed up my sleeve.

I sat with that for a minute in an uncomfortable silence. I watched her prepare the syringe.

“You have the most important job of all,” I said, finally. “I’m so grateful you are here. I’ve been very sick over the last year and I haven’t been able to leave the house.”

It was her turn to think for a minute.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said. Then, “so I guess you’re able to work from home?”

“I was for a while, when we were teaching virtually. But when we reopened, I...couldn't.” Pause. “I can’t wait to be able to go back.”

She nodded. Swabbed my arm with alcohol. There was so much unsaid. So much difference in our circumstances. I felt my privilege weigh heavily on me as I sat there. 

Then it was over. I thanked her and moved along with my timer to wait my required fifteen minutes in case of a reaction. I found a chair over by the pharmacy and sat. And thought about how I have been safely at home and she hasn’t. How I feel delightfully kooky to be delighted by displays of Easter candy and she can’t even fathom the circumstances that allow that.

I am grateful for her. I don’t think that’s enough, though. I’m still thinking about it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...