Skip to main content

Creative Possibilities


 

It’s possible that you have already seen it, but I still want to make a pitch for Rebecca Bryant’s piece on The Merriweather Post.

Reimagining Columbia’s Tot Lots, Rebecca Bryant, The Merriweather Post (guest post)

Bryant is a member of the Oakland Mills Village Board. She is a member of Yards Alive, which I’ve written about here, and helped organize and staff the bike corral for the Fourth of July Festivities in collaboration with Bicycling Advocates of Howard County.

Bryant’s piece does a good job of outlining the current challenges surrounding the network of 175 tot lots spread throughout Columbia. 

Ten years ago I wrote about some of my issues with tot Lots. It was prompted by a video presentation released by CA called “Creating Gathering Spaces” on the short-lived Inspire Columbia website. The link is in the piece but, alas, it doesn’t work anymore.

Looking for a Sign, Village Green/Town², June 27, 2013

While my focus in that piece was about my longstanding frustration with how difficult it was to find tot lots if you didn’t live right on top of one, the CA video was not. I’m disappointed not to be able to share it with you now. (I tried YouTube, no dice.) 

I believe that Columbia Association created the video as away of beginning a conversation like the one Ms. Bryant’s piece describes. My recollection is that they were looking at Columbia’s demographics and made their pitch in a way that leaned heavily on reimagining tot lots for as amenities for retirees and senior citizens. Despite their best efforts, one came away with the feeling that their ideas involved removing a lot of expensive equipment - -  that needed to be maintained and or replaced on a regular basis - - and swapping in signs that encouraged older folks to do stretching exercises and the like.

As I recall parents of young children were…dubious. Ian Kennedy, then a local blogger (I think he still was at this point?) wrote eloquently about this at the time and asked some pretty good questions about what would happen to Columbia if we stopped planning for families and young children. 

In a different corner, quite the hue and cry arose from older residents who felt strongly that the Tot Lots must remain exactly the was that Jim Rouse had created them, and that any change constituted the Columbia Association attempting to steal something from Columbians. We experience waves of this every so often even today, and certainly we have seen evidence of this anti-CA sentiment in recent disputes on the CA Board. 

There’s a point at which this becomes less like preservation and more like neglect.  Like the Victorian habit of maintaining a dead person's room exactly as they left it, a completely static memorial. Lifeless.

If we in Columbia have changed since 1967, and our needs have changed, let’s talk about that and about what could be better. For all of us.

This is my context for reading Rebecca Bryant’s piece. I love that her visions are multi-generational, and since I am a very visual person, I enjoyed the photos that are included to spark the readers’ imaginations. I’m hoping that her proposal will be widely read and that people will have positive conversations about the future of tot lots and want to get involved and advocate on their behalf.

I’m also tickled that CA is doing a pilot study in Oakland Mills, but, you know, that’s just me.

Ms. Bryant closes her piece by saying:

I look forward to the creative possibilities that lie ahead with the start of a pilot to investigate other options for our play spaces.  The play spaces have the potential to be gems of our neighborhoods and add a greater value to all residents. 

I agree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...