Skip to main content

F ³: Sign of the Times


 

Sometimes when life is complicated and daily living feels like a struggle, it’s easy to wish for a sign that you are on the right track. Something to reassure you. An absolute confirmation that things are going to be all right.

The other day when I was out shopping, I found it.



There it is! Right in front of Staples on Snowden River Parkway.

THIS IS YOUR SIGN

It caught my attention as I went into the store. I stopped on the way out to consider it from every angle. It was too big to fit in my purse or even my roomy reusable shopping bag. It might fit in the trunk of my car. Hmm…

We are all an extremely well-behaved lot if we can pass something that says “This is your sign” and not feel confident walking off with it. Or perhaps the general public is not as literal as I am.

Still, I did ponder it after I went home. If it really were my sign, what would I want to do with it?

Would I want to put it where I’d see it often, with words of affirmation? 


Art by Scott Froschauer 

Art by Trustocorp


Or would something more ambiguous be preferable? Sort of a “fortune cookie message” sign.



This one is brutally honest but could be extremely helpful, whether literally or metaphorically.




I fear the temptation to use a big sign to make editorial comments would too great for me.





Art by Trustocorp


We all probably have days where we’d enjoy telling off people and/or things via signs. I think I’ll keep those delicious moments inside my head instead of cluttering up the world with them. It could get out of hand rather quickly.

So what would you do if that really were your sign? How would you use it? What would it say? Would you pick one thing for all time or can you see changing it up to reflect a change in mood or to address current events?

I’m not sure what my sign would say. I think that, like many folks, I’m just out here looking for a sense of direction.




In the meantime, Staples is really serious about this sign thing. But their advert gave me a bit of a laugh. You might enjoy it, too. 




Have a great Friday and let me know if you have any favorite signs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...