Skip to main content

No Menu Monday




I’m having a minor surgical procedure this morning which means I am sitting here without benefit of coffee. This is not my preferred way to start the day. I’m going to tread water a bit on the blog by suggesting a topic of conversation. Do with it what you will.

The topic is restaurants. I came across this exchange on Twitter recently and I wondered how other people felt on this issue.


Please give me a physical menu. I do not want to have to scan a code.


This is literally my most boomer view. I do not care. I want to put my phone down at a restaurant.


I hate this so much. I ordered a salad this way in a restaurant over the summer and was glutened. Had there been an actual server, I could have said I have celiac disease and could they please take precautions when making the salad.


Yes! I'm with you so hard on this!


Have you been to a restaurant that is no longer using physical menus? What did you think? Did the experience work for you?

This was my experience at Busboys and Poets:

My server was Zoe. She took my order for iced coffee and referred me to the QR code on the table so that I could explore the menu. There was just one problem. My phone wouldn’t open the darn thing. When she came back with my drink I explained my dilemma. She wasn’t surprised. Something about the building makes the wifi wonky, so she suggested I use the in-house password to access theirs.

As I recall I never could get it to work but I described what I wanted to Zoe and we went from there. It was breakfast, so that made it easier. I was startled when the check arrived on a device. That was rather weird, in my opinion,

So far I haven’t had enough experiences to judge. I’m keenly aware that my age may play into this.

What do you think? Have you had the scan-a-code menu experience? Did you like it? Hate it? Could it be improved?

I’ll be back tomorrow with the requisite caffeine on board.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...