Skip to main content

Seeing Is Believing



What kinds of things affect how we see ourselves? I am talking about more than a visual representation in a mirror or a photograph. We are shaped by our families and our communities, our friends and our schools. We are influenced by magazines, television, movies, social media. 

Do those experiences reaffirm how we feel about ourselves or do we come away feeling ignored or excluded?

Imagine going to stores that have no skin or hair care products for you. Libraries with no books about you. Movies with no people like you. 

What kind of impact would that have on how you saw yourself?

One of my favorite rooms in the Harriet Tubman School and Cultural Center was the library. All along the front bookshelves were dolls. Black dolls. More Black dolls than I had ever seen in my life in one place, probably ever.







That image has stayed with me, probably because I never saw even one black doll for most of my childhood. They weren’t in any stores where we shopped. I saw no ads for them on television. By the time that any Black dolls started appearing in toy catalogues I’m pretty sure I was past doll age. 

Their omission was not because there was no market for Black dolls. It was because that market was not considered to be important.

What a simple and affirming thing: to have a doll that looks like you.

The placement of these dolls in the library was particularly significant to me because of what I have learned about books being windows and mirrors.

When children cannot find themselves reflected in the books they read, or when the images they see are distorted, negative, or laughable, they learn a powerful lesson about how they are devalued in the society of which they are a part.

- - Rudine Sims Bishop

A mirror is a story that reflects your own culture and helps you build your identity.

- - Emily Styles

And dolls - - the companions of children from their earliest years - - can’t they also be powerful mirrors that both reflect and affirm? 

Today at the Miller Branch of the Howard County Library there’s an all-day event about Black dolls.


Image from HCLS website 


In honor of Black History Month, the Charm City Dolling Club of Maryland celebrates its 25th anniversary with As We See Ourselves, an exhibit in appreciation of Black dolls. The exhibit, on display during February at Miller Branch, includes dolls made from a wide array of media such as wood, polymer clay, cloth, porcelain, vinyl, and gourds. Marty Bass from WJZ-TV talked to the club members about the exhibit.

The title of the exhibit is As We See Ourselves. 


Image from HCLS website

 

That’s it, right there. That’s the essence about what is important about these dolls and the exhibit. If handmade, they are mirrors of what is beautiful and valuable about their creators. If commercially made, they are included because they spoke to something significant and/or authentic to the owners who purchased them. 

We sometimes think of dolls as merely children’s playthings. But so much of the brain is developing during those early years. So much of our adult self-concept is shaped during those hours of family life and childhood play.  

Although registration for today’s event has already closed, the exhibit itself is ongoing until the end of February. Stop by the Miller Branch to take a look and to think about what this collection represents. For more on the significance of Black dolls, this article from the Smithsonian provides useful context and some great photos of historical dolls. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...