Skip to main content

Before and After

 


Let’s start out this morning by thanking a few people:

  1. The person who passed along this blog post to county council candidate James Handley.
  2. The writer at the Sun for making the correction.
  3. Mr. Handley himself who reached out to me with the update and some very kind words.
Here’s the Before:


Here’s the After:



Do you see the difference? I sure can. 

In my first job out of college (library circulation, Westminster Choir College Talbott Library) I came across this quote and posted it by my desk. 

If Language is not correct, then what is said is not what is meant. If what is said is not what is meant, then what ought to be done, remains undone.

Confucius

Accuracy matters. How you say things matters. How you frame things matters.

*****

Before:

 Image from HoCoGov social media
After:


Photo credit: Reddit userAneurhythms


In between, seen on Ellicott City Reddit: 

What happened to the TARDIS in OEC?

Some responses:

  • It’s in Rockburn Park now. 
  • Sounds like they’re going to keep it on the move. 
  • The parks department is going to to move it around until a permanent home is decided. 
I guess that was the plan all along:

Earlier this fall, a mysterious relic resembling a British police box, appeared along Main Street in Old Ellicott City’s Tiber Park. Inspired by the time travelling spaceship the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions in Space) in the Doctor Who science fiction television series, the #HoCoTARDIS will house and transport Howard County’s new mobile Little Free Library all over the county. 

- - Howard County Executive Calvin Ball Unveils County’s New Timey-Wimey Little Free Library

Will you look at that. Something new and fun in Howard County and it’s in Elkridge. One can only hope the significance of this is appreciated. 

Do you have any HoCoLocal Before/After stories to share? I can think of one more, so I might check back a little later to add it.


Village Green/Town² Comments


Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...