Skip to main content

Getting Crafty?

 


Two local events that may speak to your crafty side. 

This Saturday, from 9 am - 2 pm in Columbia, an art & craft supply Yard Sale.



I found this on Columbia Patch, by the way.


If you are trying to keep your expenditures to a minimum, take a look at this upcoming event at the library’s Central Branch:

Got a craft stash that needs a refresh? Join us for our Craft Supply Swap! (Sunday, April 26th) Bring gently used supplies to share, or just stop by to browse and discover something new-to-you. No donation required, just a love of making! Come swap, save, and get inspired for your next project. Register here: https://bit.ly/4sN0n28

Do you like to make art? Show up this Saturday at the Lakefront, because Scribblin outside is back!



PACK SOMETHING COMFY TO SIT ON, ART SUPPLIES, & COME SCRIBBLE WITH US! ALL ART STYLES & SKILL LEVELS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME.

11 - 1PM

APRIL 18

COLUMBIA LAKEFRONT

Do you lean towards art appreciation? Stop by Savage Mill to see the works of students from Bollman Bridge Elementary School! Young Artists in Process. 




And don’t forget the The Howard County Public School System's Annual Art Exhibit at the Mall. Works by students at all levels are on display throughout the common areas until April 29th. One of the best things about this annual art show is that I have never read even one online complaint about it on social media. Clearly a local favorite. 

How do you like your art? Yesterday was World Art Day - - but let’s keep the creativity going!


Village Green/Town² Comments



Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...