A while back I posted this image from Marketa because it looked homemade to me.
Do you see it? The eerie similarities?
Now I’m not sure either one was made by a human and I hate living like this. What do you think?
*****
August brings one of my favorite anniversaries. You know the one.
Apparently August is the month for this sort of thing. It looks like DC has joined the club.
I still think an accordion is better. Also, there’s a difference between “electric” and “electronic” and I suspect this writer doesn’t know the difference.
*****
True confession: I can’t make myself read this article.
“We’re All Over the Flood”: A Decade Later, Ellicott City Thrives Again, Julekha Dash, Baltimore Magazine
It’s not because I think there’s anything wrong with the piece. It’s the title. “We’re All Over the Flood.” I don’t think of myself as superstitious yet those words send a chill through right me. Perhaps it’s merely an emotional response on my part, but those words seem to be the kind of thing that almost invite an entirely new calamity.
“Oh, you’re all over the flood? Well, watch this!” - - Mother Nature, probably
There are so many phrases that I would have used instead of these words. And I realize it’s a me problem here. Someone clearly did say that. It’s a direct quote. But when I think about the tragedy compounded by the two floods I have a hard time comprehending that claim.
Do I celebrate Main Street’s recovery? Absolutely! Do I champion the efforts to keep it safer in the future? Without a doubt.
I just…
Oh, and one more thing: the map that accompanies the piece. I like it. Have you seen it?
Illustration by Livi Plihal
You are looking at artwork created by a human artist. It’s not AI slop. It’s not prefabricated clipart.
Livi Plihal is a freelance illustrator and creator based in Baltimore. You can learn more about her at her website, where I discovered that she likes to create illustrated maps. She is currently a graduate student at Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore pursuing a Master’s degree in Illustration.
If you see this map floating around on social media without attribution, do me a favor. Give Ms. Plihal credit. Baltimore Magazine did. They clearly hired a real artist, paid her, and credited her work publicly.*
Do you understand how rare that is these days and how important it is to the future of human-created art?
I’m clearly passionate about this. I think everyone should be.
Do you have any weird stuff to share today? Or any human creators you’d like to promote? Let me know.
*And good for them!








Comments
Post a Comment