Skip to main content

Twelve Hours

Twelve hours from now I would normally be getting my blog post up, pouring a second cup of coffee and getting my family out the door. But tomorrow will be different. In twelve hours my family will be sleeping in and I will be standing at the polls in support of Kirsten Coombs for the Howard County Board of Education.

My kind of advocacy usually comes in the form of a blog post or a well-timed letter. But every once in a while even I know that the time has come to move beyond doling out insight from a distance. Sometimes one must go to the meeting, give the public testimony, stand at the polls and meet new people in support of something bigger than oneself. In twelve hours that time will come again for me.

As you are reading you are probably realizing that I wrote this twelve hours ago because I have not figured out a way to stand at the polls and blog at the same time. As I write my daughter is looking forward to watching "Dancing With The Stars", and my husband is playing the guitar while watching the Orioles game. At the George Howard Building the County Council is very likely about to endure a dog-and-pony show of budget testimony from school system employees who have no choice but to be there. Just another Monday evening in HoComd.

It sounds like a perfectly ordinary evening, but it isn't. The balance of power could soon be shifting, and the opportunity for Howard County citizens to have a real voice in their school system could finally come into play. Right now, as I type, I feel the air around me crackle with the power of possibility.

It could happen. If we choose to make it so.

Twelve hours from now I may smile at you, say good morning, perhaps engage you in conversation. And twelve hours after that I'll be at home, watching election results come in and hoping for the best. Well, that's putting it mildly. I'll be highly invested in the outcome. And I'm not alone. Some incredibly good people have put themselves out there to work for a better board of ed.

The clock is ticking. The time to take a stand for something bigger than ourselves is now.

See you at the polls.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...